Thursday, March 26, 2015

Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken

Since I haven't really tried cooking anything new lately, and I was going to be at home on "vacation" for a week, I decided to look on Pinterest for some ideas.

I found this one that I had pinned a while ago but never made for Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken from Let's Get Cookin' that looked good!

Ingredients:


  • 5 to 6 chicken breasts (you can use any cut of chicken) I actually used a 4 lb bag of bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
  • 1 bottle BBQ Sauce (I used Kraft Sweet Honey Barbecue Sauce 18 oz)
  • 1 20 oz can pineapple slices in juice


Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray or use a liner.


Place chicken in the slow cooker.


Pour the entire bottle of BBQ sauce over the chicken, making sure to coat each piece evenly.


Place pineapple slices over the chicken. You can keep the pineapple slices from sliding around while cooking by inserting toothpicks to hold them in place on the chicken pieces. But as you can see, I did not do this.


Pour the pineapple juice that is still left in the can into the empty bottle of BBQ sauce, replace cover, and shake vigorously. This is to get all of the remaining BBQ sauce out of the bottle. Pour over the pineapple and chicken.


Cook on low for 5 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.

Serve over rice or mashed potatoes. The sauce goes great over rice!


After I decided to make this, I was a little concerned because the recipe did not state what size bottle of BBQ sauce to use and also because I usually like to use the "low" setting if I have time, but the "5 to 8 hours" cook time was such a big "window" that I wasn't sure what time I should get it started.  I didn't want it to be finished too early or too late since we usually eat at around 6:30pm.
I decided that since I was using bone-in chicken thighs, I would let it cook a little longer and ended up cooking it on low for about 7 hours.

The chicken was "fall off the bone" tender and very tasty! The whole family liked it a lot! Definitely something I'd make again, especially since it was so easy to make, as well as delicious! ;)



No comments: